by the photocopier
(this edition is the 1483rd actually issued)
Release Date: 1 September 2006
- Pages: 36
- Price: $2.50 inc. GST
- Cover: the photocopier
- No Phantom Forum in this issue
by Felmang & Rudy Walk
- Circe's Island Pt.1: The Institute
- Script: David Bishop
- Art: Felmang
- First published in Fantomen Nr.19/2006 by Egmont, Scandinavia. Original cover shown on the left, thanks to Ulf Granberg.
- Message from the Publisher:
A few explanations are necessary before you start reading Circe's Island (Part 1)!
Firstly, the island of Aeaea is referred to in classical mythology as the home of Circe, a powerful witch, who was the daughter of Helios, the sun god. While our story describes it as being somewhere off the coast near Palermo in northern Sicily, it was always referred to in mythology as being "off the coast of Italy" Frankly, I am unsure why writer David Bishop selected the mythical island as the setting for this adventure. Circe the witch didn't seem to have any interest in making old people youthful again. Her party trick was plying annoying men with her special wine - and turning them into swine!
Secondly, no exaggeration is involved in the depiction of the Greek ruins in the full panel on the final page of this issue. Sicilians love to boast that there are more Greek ruins on their land mass than can be found in Greece itself!
Thirdly, the appearance of the "film stars", "Kurt Lancaster" and "Doris Conway" early in the story, may surprise, or even upset a number of people. I hope not! Remember that this story deals with some highly obvious con men (and women). All are bursting with trickery in their efforts to get their hands on the money of ageing women!
More will be revealed in part two of the story which will appear in Frew #1456 on sale 15 September.
Artist Romano Felice Mangiarano has signed this one with a simple "Felmang", but just as a reminder of his more recent artistic credit, he's dropped in a signboard carrying the name "Roy Mann". It can be found in the panel at the top of page 29.
Future issues planned as of 25 August 2006 (subject to change without notice):
- #1456 (15 Sep) Circe's Island Pt.2 (Bishop & Felmang, Fantomen Nr.20/2006)
Check the New@Egmont and The Missing Semic Stories pages for details of other upcoming stories.
My thanks to the staff of Frew Publications for providing this information.
More Frew stuff ...
- History of Frew Publications
- 50th Anniversary Celebrations
- Complete Publishing Chronology
- Archive of Covers from #1 to #100
- Frew in Review: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005
- Annual Specials: 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006.
- Subscriptions & Back Issues
Return to the Deep Woods
Bryan Shedden / firstname.lastname@example.org
Last updated 27 August 2006