(this edition is the 1444th actually printed)
Release Date: 27 May 2005
- Pages: 36
- Price: $2.50 inc. GST
- Cover: Tessa (Terry Welsby)
- No Phantom Forum in this issue
by Rolf Gohs
- Korzan - King of the Jungle
- Script: Sverre Årnes
- Art: César Spadari
- First published in Fantomen Nr.5/1991 by Semic, Sweden. Original cover shown on the left, thanks to Ulf Granberg. The story was also published in England by Wolf Publishing in The Phantom #4 with the title Tights, Camera - Action.
- Message from the Publisher:
Presenting - Korzan - King of the Jungle, an intriguing adventure written by Sverre Årnes and illustrated by César Spadari.
The editorial feature in this issue goes behind the scenes to reveal more about movie making and general entertainment themes which have been used in previous Phantom stories. Korzan is quite different from the others because it spotlights the off camera jealousies and feuds which seem to plague so many film and television drama and adventure productions. The name "Korzan" seems at first glance to be a play on the famous "Tarzan - Lord of the Jungle" stories and movies, but as you are about to discover the only similarity is the sound of the name! If anything, there is more of a relationship with The Phantom and as The Ghost Who Walks becomes so heavily involved Årnes' script is extremely clever. It can also be argued that the Korzan adventure is a slight spoof on Batman. Check out Korzan's uniform! No harm done or intended of course! Sverre Årnes and César Spadari have simply had some fun in the creative process and what "violence" exists is extremely Iow key.
This story comes from the Semic/Egmont archives in Scandinavia and originally appeared in 1991. It appears for the first time in Australia in this Frew edition, complete with covers by "Tessa" (Terry Welsby).
There will be more covers in future months from Terry, as there will from Antonio Lemos and we have a special surprise for you in Frew #1420 which will go on sale on 15 July. The story to be featured in that edition is entitled The Phantom - Man or Myth? and is illustrated by American artist Alex Saviuk. Frew has commissioned Alex to render the covers for his own story and he will become only the second overseas artist (after Romano Felmang) to create covers for an Australian edition of The Phantom comic book. Another serious collectable on the way for Ghost Who Walks enthusiasts! Alex Saviuk is fast becoming an important member of what is known as Team Fantomen with the Scandinavian publishers of Phantom comic books and I'm sure we will be seeing more of his work in the future.
Coming your way in future issues are some truly wonderful stories! Our forward schedule is now locked in to the end of August. We will bring you Land of the Totems (a story by Tony De Paul and Felmang) in Frew #1417, The Skull Murders by Donne Avenell and Carlos Cruz and The U-Boat Mystery with the major section of the art by Paul Ryan in #1418 and there are many more to come! In Frew #1419, on sale 1 July, we will present The Plague, an historical adventure by David Bishop and Kari Leppänen and Alex Saviuk's The Phantom - Man or Myth? will feature in Frew #1420, to be followed in edition #1421 by The Union Mob, with wonderous art by Hans Lindahl.
Great news for fans of Rex! The youngster raised by Diana and The Phantom and now ruler of Baronkhan, returns in the very near future in a gripping new story which is still running as a Sunday feature and should end sometime in August. Graham Nolan's art is brilliant and the story has been written the traditional Lee Falk way, with a detailed flashback to his first appearance in The Phantom Chronicles leading into all the modern happenings (and dramas) in his misty mountain kingdom.
Future issues planned as of 20 May 2005 (subject to change without notice):
- #1417 (10 Jun) Land of the Totems (De Paul & Felmang/Morrik/Ferri, Fantomen Nr.3/1997)
- #1418 (24 Jun) The Skull Murders (Avenell & Cruz, Fantomen Nr.16/1993)
- #1419 (1 Jul) The Plague (Bishop & Leppänen, Fantomen Nr.10/2005)
- #1420 (15 Jul) The Phantom - Man or Myth? (Reimerthi & Saviuk, Fantomen Nr.11/2005)
- #1421 (29 Jul) The Union Mob (Nordberg & Lindahl, Fantomen Nr.12/2005)
Check the New@Egmont and The Missing Semic Stories pages for details of other upcoming stories.
My thanks to the staff of Frew Publications for providing this information.
More Frew stuff ...
- History of Frew Publications
- 50th Anniversary Celebrations
- Complete Publishing Chronology
- Archive of Covers from #1 to #100
- Frew in Review: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004
- Annual Specials: 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005.
- Phantom Poll: 2001, 2002.
- Subscriptions & Back Issues
Return to the Deep Woods
Bryan Shedden / firstname.lastname@example.org
Last updated 23 May 2005