by Alex Saviuk & Jim Shepherd
(this edition is the 1420th actually printed)
Release Date: 13 Aug 2004
- Pages: 36
- Price: $2.20 inc. GST
- Cover: Alex Saviuk & Jim Shepherd
- No Phantom Forum in this issue
by Rolf Gohs
- The Courier
- Script: Claes Reimerthi
- Art: Alex Saviuk
- "First" published in Fantomen Nr.19/2004 by Egmont, Scandinavia (not until 9 Sep!). Original cover shown on the left, thanks to Simon Treschow.
- Message from the Publisher:
In this issue - the third episode of our new series tracing the rise and development of the 21st Phantom's first year in the role.
The Courier is written by Claes Reimerthi and illustrated by Alex Saviuk, another new face in the ranks of Phantom artists.
[Comment from Guran: This is the first Phantom story Alex Saviuk has done for Egmont and the first story he's had published by Frew. However, he is already known to Phantom Phans through his pencilling contribution on the Defenders of the Earth comics from Marvel in 1987. These were inked by Fred Fredericks, the longtime Mandrake artist who of course went on to ink the Phantom Sundays from 1995 to 2000.]
This adventure is especially interesting for a wide variety of reasons ... The Phantom returns (as Kit Walker) to his old American High School... and finally sees Diana again! The outcome is rather different from a story Lee Falk wrote many years ago! Reimerthi has obviously given a lot of thought to Diana's probable reaction. Will she be overjoyed? Try to refrain from turning to the end of the story. A BIG surprise is in store for young Kit Walker!
Artist Saviuk has also given a great deal of thought to Reimerthi's script and in this adventure you will see the first signs of the 21st Phantom's new-found sense of doling out instant - and near ruthless - jungle justice.
The series about the new Phantom's first year has more episodes to run the adventure entitled Johnny Hotwire, which will be followed by Johnny Hotwire Rides Again. Both these stories have been written by Hans Lindahl and are set in the United States at a time when hot rodding was in vogue. They will be followed by Murderous Trap, written by Claes Reimerthi and drawn by Kari Leppänen.
I've had a sneak preview of the climax of the saga and can promise you will not be disappointed! Everything makes perfect sense and you will better understand the challenges which faced young Kit as he tried to uphold all the traditions of The Ghost Who Walks.
Future issues planned as of 13 August 2004 (subject to change without notice):
- #1393 (27 Aug) - 100 page special
- The Haunted Castle (Falk & Moore/McCoy, 1948/49 Sunday, S21, Frew #950)
- Great Raptor of Rhua (Falk & Barry, 1988 daily, D164, Frew #930)
- Chasamba (Falk & Barry, 1988/89 daily, D165, Frew #935)
- #1394 (3 Sep) Johnny Hotwire (De Paul & Lindahl, Fantomen Nr.14/1996)
- #1395 (17 Sep) Johnny Hotwire Rides Again (Lindahl, Fantomen Nr.?/2004)
- #1396 (1 Oct) ?
- #1397 (15 Oct) ?
- #1398 (22 Oct) ?
- Other stories scheduled for 2004:
- Murderous Trap (Reimerthi & Leppänen, Fantomen Nr.?/2004)
- The 12 Tasks (Falk & Moore/McCoy, 1946/47 Sunday, S17, Frew #967)
- The Massacre (Falk & Barry, 1972 Sunday, S87, Frew #912)
- The Bike Gang (Falk & Barry, 1972 Sunday, S88, Frew #912)
- The Hawk Master (Falk & Barry, 1972/73 Sunday, S89, Frew #912)
- The Giant of Kaluga Pass (Falk & Barry, 1972/73 daily, D119, Frew #914)
- The Golden Beach (Falk & Barry, 1975 Sunday, S97, Frew #781)
- Death from the Sky (Falk & Barry, 1989 Sunday, S133, Frew #948A)
- The Eastern Dark (Falk & Barry, 1990 Sunday, S135, Frew #967)
- The Treasure from Rhodes (Worker & Leppänen, Fantomen Nr.6/1980)
Check the New@Egmont, Frew Reprint Schedule, and The Missing Semic Stories pages for details of other upcoming stories.
My thanks to the staff of Frew Publications for providing this information.
More Frew stuff ...
- History of Frew Publications
- 50th Anniversary Celebrations
- Complete Publishing Chronology
- Archive of Covers from #1 to #100
- Frew in Review: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003.
- Annual Specials: 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004.
- Phantom Poll: 2001, 2002.
- Subscriptions & Back Issues
Return to the Deep Woods
Bryan Shedden / email@example.com
Last updated 13 August 2004