by Paul Ryan & Jim Shepherd
(this edition is the 1419th actually printed)
Release Date: 6 Aug 2004
- Pages: 36
- Price: $2.20 inc. GST
- Cover: Paul Ryan & Jim Shepherd
- No Phantom Forum in this issue
by Paul Ryan & Tom Smith
- Script: Claes Reimerthi
- Art: Paul Ryan
- "First" published in Fantomen Nr.18/2004 by Egmont, Scandinavia (not until 26 Aug!). Original cover shown on the left, thanks to Brian Jensen.
- Message from the Publisher:
In this edition, we pursue the first year in the life of the 21st Phantom! Writer Claes Reimerthi and artist Paul Ryan have come up with another fascinating adventure as they depict The Phantom gaining experience the hard way! His chief adversary, the witchdoctor Molok, is close to being the ultimate villain and his fiendish plans seem inexhaustible!
For Those Who Just Came In, a little research through the Chronicles is recommended. The Golden Ox statue first appeared in Lee Falk's story, The Peace of the Golden Ox in 1972 and you will find the first printing in Frew #496 published in 1973. If that issue is not in your collection, see if you have a reprint of the story in Frew #889 published in 1987.
[Guran's Comment: ... or even better see the latest printing in Frew #1293 from 2001 in which the story title was corrected to the official title The Keeper of the Peace.]
Sy Barry illustrated the story and Paul Ryan has faithfully recreated the Golden Ox from Sy's original depiction. Claes Reimerthi has also stuck with Lee's original script and the only difference between his and Lee's story is the introduction of Molok. Otherwise, the tribes involved (the Wambesi and the Llongo) remain the main players. While there are some minor differences to Lee's original story, the central theme is the most important ingredient - the new Phantom faces a huge challenge to restore peace to the jungle and as you are about to discover, is stronger for the experience.
There are more episodes on the drawing board covering the 21st Phantom's first year and Frew will bring these to you as they become available from the publishing originators in Scandinavia. By my estimation, there are at least three more new stories involved, two of which have The Phantom in action in the United States. These two involve a fascinating character named Johnny Hotwire and believe it or not, The Phantom becomes involved in the modern world of hot rods! It may be well removed from his traditional jungle setting, but as the theme of this new series of adventures stresses the need for The Phantom to learn quickly, everything makes sense!
Future issues planned as of 29 July 2004 (subject to change without notice):
- #1392 (13 Aug) The Courier (Reimerthi & Saviuk, Fantomen Nr.19/2004, 9 Sep)
- Other stories scheduled for 2004:
- The 12 Tasks (Falk & Moore/McCoy, 1946/47 Sunday, S17, Frew #967)
- The Haunted Castle (Falk & Moore/McCoy, 1948/49 Sunday, S21, Frew #950)
- The Massacre (Falk & Barry, 1972 Sunday, S87, Frew #912)
- The Bike Gang (Falk & Barry, 1972 Sunday, S88, Frew #912)
- The Hawk Master (Falk & Barry, 1972/73 Sunday, S89, Frew #912)
- The Giant of Kaluga Pass (Falk & Barry, 1972/73 daily, D119, Frew #914)
- The Golden Beach (Falk & Barry, 1975 Sunday, S97, Frew #781)
- Great Raptor of Rhua (Falk & Barry, 1988 daily, D164, Frew #930)
- Chasamba (Falk & Barry, 1988/89 daily, D165, Frew #935)
- Death from the Sky (Falk & Barry, 1989 Sunday, S133, Frew #948A)
- The Eastern Dark (Falk & Barry, 1990 Sunday, S135, Frew #967)
- The Treasure from Rhodes (Worker & Leppänen, Fantomen Nr.6/1980)
Check the New@Egmont, Frew Reprint Schedule, and The Missing Semic Stories pages for details of other upcoming stories.
My thanks to the staff of Frew Publications for providing this information.
More Frew stuff ...
- History of Frew Publications
- 50th Anniversary Celebrations
- Complete Publishing Chronology
- Archive of Covers from #1 to #100
- Frew in Review: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003.
- Annual Specials: 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004.
- Phantom Poll: 2001, 2002.
- Subscriptions & Back Issues
Return to the Deep Woods
Bryan Shedden / firstname.lastname@example.org
Last updated 29 July 2004