by Antonio Lemos
(this edition is the 1403rd actually printed)
Release Date: 30 January 2004
- Pages: 36
- Price: $2.20 inc. GST
- Cover: Antonio Lemos
- No Phantom Forum in this issue
by Rudy Walk
- The Psychiatrist
- Script: Lennart Moberg
- Art: Romano Felmang
- First published in Fantomen Nr.2/2004 by Egmont, Scandinavia. Original cover shown on the left, thanks to Brian Jensen.
- Message from the Publisher:
Presenting - a new Phantom adventure which will not only make you think, but reread more than once I fancy, and to look for special and sometimes cryptic clues inserted by writer Lennart Moberg. Moberg combined with artist Romano Felmang to make the story, The Psychiatrist, not only exciting, but deliberately puzzling.
Covers are by Antonio Lemos, who succeeded in injecting just the right amount of mystery.
As a matter of interest, the working title for this story when originally published in Scandinavia, was The Man Without a Memory. I deliberately changed that to the more simple, The Psychiatrist, because the role of Dr Donald Starsky, Psychiatrist, is, as you about to discover, crucially important to the script.
Long-standing Phantom devotees will know that characters with temporary memory loss have previously starred in the adventures of The Phantom. Among the more famous was Merle, in the Sunday story, The Mysterious Girl which appeared in 1939. In that Lee Falk classic, The Phantom meets Merle very early in the piece when they cross paths in Alexandria and it takes until the final pages of the adventure before Merle's memory returns.
On the subject of Annual Specials, thanks to everybody who wrote to tell us how much they enjoyed this year's Annual Special!
Our next edition of The Phantom goes on sale on February 6 and will feature another new adventure written and illustrated by the brilliant Hans Lindahl. This edition stars Devil and the story title is - Devil - The Wolf Who Cannot Die, Lindahl has set the story in the deep jungle with Devil, the central character, in a non-stop thriller in which Hero ends up in big trouble and The Phantom has to battle not only wild jungle beasts, but a gang of roughnecks who set new standards of evil.
Future issues planned as of 23 January 2004 (subject to change without notice):
- #1376 (6 Feb) Devil - The Wolf Who Cannot Die (Lindahl, Fantomen Nr.4/2004, 12 Feb)
- #1377 (20 Feb) The Vanishing Lake (Reimerthi & Giordano, Fantomen Nr.5/2004, 26 Feb)
- #1378 (5 Mar) 100 page special
- The Elixir of Life (Longstreet & Giordano, Fantomen Nr.1/2004, 30 Dec)
- The Connoisseurs (Reimerthi & Olesen/Williams, 2003 daily, D209)
- (another story to be confirmed)
- Other stories scheduled for 2004:
- The Golden Beach (Falk & Barry, 1975 Sunday, S97, Frew #781)
- The Escaped Convicts (Falk & Barry, 1986 Sunday, S127, Frew #880A)
- The Treasure from Rhodes (Worker & Leppänen, Fantomen Nr.6/1980)
Check the New@Egmont, Frew Reprint Schedule, and The Missing Semic Stories pages for details of other upcoming stories.
My thanks to the staff of Frew Publications for providing this information.
More Frew stuff ...
- History of Frew Publications
- 50th Anniversary Celebrations
- Complete Publishing Chronology
- Archive of Covers from #1 to #100
- Frew in Review: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003.
- Annual Specials: 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004.
- Phantom Poll: 2001, 2002.
- Subscriptions & Back Issues
Return to the Deep Woods
Bryan Shedden / email@example.com
Last updated 26 January 2004