by Antonio Lemos
(this edition is the 1383rd actually printed)
Release Date: 6 June 2003
- Pages: 36
- Price: $2.20 inc. GST
- Cover: Antonio Lemos
- No Phantom Forum in this issue
by Rolf Gohs
- Hostage of the Singh Pirates
- Script: Ulf Granberg
- Art: Jaime Vallvé
- First published in Fantomen Nr.10/1978 by Semic, Scandinavia. Original cover shown on the left, thanks to Phantom Kingdom.
- This story is the 8th in a new series of previously unpublished Semic Classics. For others see #1339, #1341, #1342, #1344, #1345, #1348, #1351.
- Message from the Publisher:
Another vintage Scandinavian Phantom adventure in this issue - and one new to Frew readers!
Hostage of The Singh Pirates was first published in 1978. Written by Ulf Granberg and illustrated by Jaime Vallvé, it provides a new and relatively modern angle on the Singh Pirates. Relatively, because, while The Phantom's old adversary operates from a futuristic undersea headquarters, the pirates have resorted to using old-fashioned airships to carry out raids on ships at sea! If that sounds a little strange, bear in mind that airships (of the modern type) have a number of advantages. They can hover like helicopters and most important of all perhaps, they are relatively silent. Read on! You will discover some wildly improbable, but really exciting sequences, some ultra-nasty roughnecks and some spectacular art. Most important, this is an adventure never before published in Australia and one of what will be a continuing series of vintage Scandinavian stories.
Antonio Lemos has rendered the covers for this issue and as usual, has turned in a splendid job. There are touches of not only Lee Falk's original Phantom story (The Singh Brotherhood), but of memorable James Bond and Indiana Jones adventures.
In our next issue (Frew #1356, on sale 13 June), we will re-present the 1985/86 Lee Falk-Sy Barry Sunday classic, The Forest Giants, originally published by Frew as The Rope People. Frew's only previous presentation (#863A) included only 16 pages. This is the unedited 30 page original!
Future issues planned as of 29 May 2003 (subject to change without notice):
- #1356 (13 Jun) The Forest Giants (Falk & Barry, 1985/86 Sunday, S124, Frew #863A)
- #1357 (27 Jun) The Bank Robbers (?)
- #1358 (4 Jul) Giovanna (Berg Holm & Giordano, Fantomen Nr.8/2003)
- #1359 (28 Jul) 100 page special
- Flame (Worker & Bess, Fantomen Special 1980)
- other content not decided at this time
- Other stories scheduled for 2003:
- The Swamp Goddess's Island (Reimerthi & Nolan, 2002 Sunday, S157)
- The Treasure from Rhodes (Worker & Leppänen, Fantomen Nr.6/1980)
- The Malicious Messenger (Worker & Leppänen, Fantomen Nr.4/1984)
Check the New@Egmont, Frew Reprint Schedule, and The Missing Semic Stories pages for details of other upcoming stories.
My thanks to the staff of Frew Publications for providing this information.
More Frew stuff ...
Return to the Deep Woods
Bryan Shedden / email@example.com
Last updated 31 May 2003